Journey through the Functions of Type to fully understand the eight types of awareness. Gain the ability to share a deeper understanding with others in a way that will make a difference.
What you will learn:
- Learn the role each function plays as one gathers information, makes decisions and interacts with others
- Examine the different perspectives on each function by leading psychologists C.G. Jung, Daryl Sharp, John Beebe, Dick Thompson, Margaret and Gary Hartzler, Dario Nardi, Lenore Thomson, Leona Haas and Mark Hunziker
- Participate in activities and creative exercises that engage each of the 8 mental functions
- Receive tools for understanding and applying the 8 functions in practical ways
A Unique Web-Based Collaboration
Delve into Carl Jung’s eight functions. We all use each of these cognitive processes!
In this webinar-based journey, you will discover how some of the most respected analysts and type theorists have defined and described each function. You’ll experience each function through guided exercises and will grasp the unique energy each function carries for you, as you observe how your energies differ from others. Engage the functions in interactive webinars led by four practicing typologists with more than 60 combined years of experience working with the functions.
We will explore one function per month for eight months, providing you with the opportunity to learn how best to describe how the function works in you. You will come to appreciate the role each function plays in our lives and how each has its own communication style and language. You’ll also gain an appreciation for the positives we can experience from integrating each function into daily activities in a managed way and the negatives that confront us when we use the functions in an unmanaged or unconscious way. There will be opportunities to reflect on when you have overused or underused each function as well as when you have used the functions unconsciously and to share your reflections with other participants.
A special feature of this series of workshops is that the four leaders are each of a different type, representing each of the function pairs (ST, SF, NF, and NT) and each brings his/her own language and style to the webinars giving you the opportunity not only to experience the functions through exercises and discussions, but also by seeing them enacted as the leaders engage with each other and with you during the webinars.
Journey through Jung's Eight Functions will be recorded and links to the recordings will be made available to all workshop participants, allowing a participant to miss a live session without missing any of the content. Copies of the slides will also be provided with permission foryou to use them so long as copyright information remains with the materials.
- This journey is an in-depth Train-the-Trainer learning experience.
- This workshop will prepare you to lead an "8 Functions of Type" study group for your Chapter or client groups.
- Take your practice to a deeper level with an understanding of the 8 mental functions.
- Understand type in depth for coaching, leadership development, counseling, career development, advanced teambuilding, and other applications.
- Help your clients grasp the Extraverted and Introverted nature of every type.
- Earn enough CEUs to fulfill your MBTI Master Practitioner education requirement.
- MBTI Certification is not required to participate in this journey.
- Learn type theory and applications by DOING. Engage each of the 8 functions. Reflect on your experience. Share and learn from type experts and from each other.
- Gain a deep understanding of type dynamics and type development across the lifespan.
- Prepare to teach and lead others about type, using the materials provided in this series.
- Contribute leadership to your APT Chapter as a possible future Study Group Facilitator.
- Build a stronger community through your knowledge of type.
We begin with a two-hour introduction to type dynamics. Then we’ll focus on each of the eight mental functions, one per month. For each function, there will be a learning webinar (3 hours) followed by activities and exercises on your own and postings to our exclusive 8 Functions LinkedIn Group, concluding with a monthly web-based discussion (2 hours) of that mental function. The course ends with a two-hour wrap up session that summarizes our experience and offers next steps for exploration.
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- PowerPoint slides for each Function session
- Links to audio recordings of each session
- Access to an exclusive 8 Functions LinkedIn Group to share your thoughts and reactions with facilitators and fellow students
- Access to the Function-Archetype Decoder™ to see what others have said about how they use each of the function-attitudes
- Email access to all four Facilitators in case you have questions
- Up to 44 CEUs for MBTI Master Practitioner, APA, or NBCC
Four MBTI Master Practitioners:
- Bob McAlpine (ST)
- Adam Frey (SF)
- Linda Elliott (NF)
- Arlene Richter (NT)
- Together we bring the perspectives of Sensing, Intuiting, Thinking, and Feeling to our study of the 8 functions of type – type diversity seldom offered in training webinars.
WHEN WE WILL MEET?
Our web-based journey begins in May and continues through December.
We’ll meet online two times each month – June through November – and three times in May – to include an Introductory session – and three times in December – to include a Summary session. This is a total of 18 webinar sessions. Each meeting will be recorded and available for review within 24 hours after the meeting is complete, so if you have a scheduling conflict you will have access to the recording.
In between sessions, participants will engage the functions on their own and have the opportunity to post their questions, insights, and experiences to our LinkedIn group.
All sessions are on Fridays and begin at 9 a.m. Pacific Time, 10 a.m. Mountain, 11 a.m. Central, and Noon Eastern.
- May 8: Course introduction (2 hours)
- May 15: Extraverted sensing (2.5 hours)
- May 22: Extraverted sensing (2.5 hours)
- Jun 12: Introverted sensing (2.5 hour)
- Jun 19: Introverted sensing (2.5 hours)
- Jul 10: Extraverted intuiting (2.5 hours)
- Jul 17: Extraverted intuiting (2.5 hours)
- Aug 21: Introverted intuiting (2.5 hours)
- Aug 28: Introverted intuiting (2.5 hours)
- Sep 18: Extraverted thinking (2.5 hours)
- Sep 25: Extraverted thinking (2.5 hours)
- Oct 16: Introverted thinking (2.5 hours)
- Oct 23: Introverted thinking (2.5 hours)
- Nov 13: Extraverted feeling (2.5 hours)
- Nov 20: Extraverted feeling (2.5 hours)
- Dec 4: Introverted feeling (2.5 hours)
- Dec 11: Introverted feeling (2.5 hours)
- Dec 18: Summary and Future Directions (2 hours)
TWO WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
Option 1: Register for the entire Journey: All 18 sessions
Option 2: Join for selected Function topics only.
EARN UP TO 44 CEU’s!
Each webinar session is approved for MBTI Master Practitioner, APA, and NBCC Continuing Education. One hour of webinar or discussion earns 1.0 CEU.
CEU fees are included in the webinar cost.
COST and PAYMENT OPTIONS
$595 for all 18 sessions, PowerPoints, recordings, and up to 44 CEUs
$495 for APTi Members
$99 per topic, if space is available. (For example, only registering for the two web sessions
on Extraverted Intuition would cost $99.)
Registration is limited to 25
YOUR GUIDES ON THE JOURNEY
Bob McAlpine, MA (ISTJ) is an MBTI® Master Practitioner and served on the committee that created the MBTI master practitioner certification program. Bob is a DDI Certified Master Assessor and has conducted graduate research on the relationship between MBTI instrument results and Situational Leadership LBAII results. Bob designed and developed the leadership assessment and development program used in the U.S. Army’s Combined Arms and Services Staff School. He has facilitated hundreds of workshops that apply type theory to enhance communication and team performance, and he has qualified thousands of Type Resources clients to use the MBTI instrument. Bob has authored or co-authored multiple publications and resources for applying type theory and assessing performance, including Introduction to Type® and the 8 Jungian Functions.
Linda Elliott, MA (ENFP) is an MBTI® Master Practitioner with a passion for psychological growth through personality type. She is a living example of integrating the "unknown self" at midlife and beyond, having left a career in consulting sales and senior management in 2007 to pursue her MA in Jungian Psychology. Since 2009, Linda has been immersed in the theory and applications of the MBTI. She is a coach and external consultant to individuals and teams using type in depth for career counseling, leadership development, and team building. Linda has served on the Board of the Portland, Oregon APTi chapter since 2010 and is the current Programs Chair. In 2011/12, she and Arlene Richter piloted a nine-month study group on the eight functions for the chapter. They are co-authors of "A Facilitator’s Guide to Exploring and Developing the 8 Functions of Type."
Adam Frey, MBA(ISFJ) is an MBTI® Master Practitioner who has been studying and verifying Jung’s and Beebe’s models of psychological type for over 25 years. He has published in Personality Type in Depth and the Bulletin of Psychological Type and has taught about type to university students, executives, psychotherapists in training, and type enthusiasts in the United States and China. Adam studied music at Harvard and received his MBA from the University of California, Berkeley. He is a registered fundraising counsel in California and has served on the Board of the Jung Institute of San Francisco. Adamhas served as theDirector of Programming for APTi's Chapter Development Council and immediate past president of APTi’s San Francisco Bay Area chapter.
Arlene Richter, M.Ed. (ENTJ) is an MBTI® Master Practitioner who has been passionate about the deep value of our differences since her Teaching Assistantship in Intercultural Communications at Portland State University. She received her M. Ed. at the University of Guam where she developed a curriculum using multicultural literature for high school and college students. After retiring from teaching, she was certified in the MBTI instrument and has served on the Board of the Portland, OR Chapter of APTi as Workshop Chair since 2010. Arlene conducts individual MBTI assessments and specialized workshops including, "Exploring You through Type," "Type and Teens," "Team Building," and "Type and Spirituality." In 2011/12, along with Linda Elliott, she piloted a nine-month study group on the eight functions for Portland APTi and co-authored "A Facilitator’s Guide to Exploring & Developing the 8 Functions of Type."
MBTI is a trademark of the MBTI Trust, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Can't attend this one?
There are no other dates for this training in the near future. Please check back, as we are continuously adding new training sessions.
Notes about participating
Read about how to prepare for our webinars here.
Next WorkshopView All
How to Work With Dreams in Honor of John GianniniLearn More / Register
Robert McAlpine, M.A. (ISTJ) Read Bio
"I knew very little about personality type prior to this course... At first it seemed overwhelming, but as the class continued, the instructor Bob McAlpine, made it all make sense. He is wonderful at what he does and this class is well worth the investment. I am looking forward to using type instruments to better understand people and assist them in communicating with others, either on a professional level or in a group setting. It appears to be a wonderful instrument with so many possibilities."Kevin Kilday